The aim of this article is to help people familiarize themselves with the possible threats of being infected by the malicious web app “HohoSearch” Browser Redirect and to point out the different ways of prevention from the unwanted consequences that this infection may lead to.
What is Hohosearch in fact?
Hohosearch could be described as a deceptive browser extension that bears huge resemblance to lots of the peculiarities of the Adware type of virus, but there is much more hidden in its ruining malicious essence. A point, worth bearing in mind is that there could be seen an obvious similarity between this app and a certain number of other malicious extensions, such as Hohosearch.com, Hohosearch virus. The magnitude of its harmful influence is difficult to be determined to the letter, (although this kind of software has already been classified of medium danger by some Internet sources), mainly because there are Internet users who are still unable to make difference between something, which could be relatively harmless, and something that may put their personal online security at real risk.
What are the common symptoms of being infected by Hohosearch?
Despite the fact that this application pretends to be of use for the people for saving their money through price comparisons and discounts, overflowing their screen while they are shopping on the net, it has been designed to make them trust in its legitimacy and stability. Furthermore, there is a much greater probability their personal web browsing experience to be completely ruined. Once the program has got access into their web browsers (no matter if they surf using Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or any other platform), it begins to generate an incessant amount of pop-up windows, banners and even full-page, covering the real underlying content of the site. It should be pointed out that the model, through which the app can bring money for its developers, is based on the so-called PPC model (also known as “Pay per Click”) that collects personal users’ information such as search queries, IP addresses, visited web pages, which could be sold to third party companies, contributing no value to the deceived ones.
How does Hohosearch really work?
Despite the fact that this malicious program has its official release on the Internet, many users may install it by inadvertence through the process of installation, neglecting the options for “Custom/Advanced Surch”, falling right into the trap that way. On the one hand, it is a common practice such application to be hidden as a third party software together with a bundle of other programs from a reliable and well-known sites like Softonic, Cnet, etc. Concealing of the real website content could be accomplished by means of using the so-called “virtual layer”, which makes possible placement of third party graphical content on any site. On the other hand, some unwanted and often hidden users’ redirections to other malicious websites are possible, as that dramatically increase the danger of infection.
How to protect ourselves from the malicious effects of Hohosearch Browser Redirect?
There is a variety of ways that could be used for protection in that uneven Internet battle with apps of that kind. First of all, it is highly recommended for each common or even advanced user to take more notice not to rush through the process of downloading and installation of a bundle of software, with which he or she it is not completely familiar with. Other comparatively effective method for users’ prevention of being infected by Hohosearch is to improve their personal awareness about the character of application through checking within the Malware Tips Community where it has already been given a certain status to as well. Last but not least, once you’ve got infected, try to use professional Hohosearch scanner in order to track down and neutralize all the pieces of the infection.
How to remove HOhoSearch guide
STEP ONE – remove HohoSearch from your list of installed programs
In order to do it you need to navigate to your control panel.
For Windows 10 -> right click on your Win button (bottom left corner) and select Control Panel. In the Menu that opens select Uninstall a program
For Windows 7-> left click on your Win button (bottom left corner) and select Control Panel->Programs_>Programs and Features->
For Windows 8-> Swipe from the right edge of the screen and hit Search. If you are using a mouse rather point to the upper-right corner, then move the pointer downwards. Select Search. In the Search field type Control panel.
Find HohoSearch in the list or programs, right click on it and select uninstall.
- IMPROTANT It is possible that the Adware will try to install another program in its place. Carefully read the wording of any confirmation pop-up that may appear and select the option that will not result in anything else getting installed on your computer.
- OPTIONAL Sort your programs by installation date starting from the most recent ones. Uninstall any other application that the Adware may have added to your PC. They are likely nothing but trouble.
STEP 2 – remove any shortcut modifications added to your browser
This step is rather simple:
- Right-click on the shortcut you usually use to start your browser.
- Select Properties
- Look at the field labeled Target. Delete anything that comes after .exe
STEP 3 – remove any extensions added to your browser
- Start your Chrome browser and click on the toolbox menu located in the upper-right corner, in the browser’s toolbar field.
- Click Tools -> Extensions
- Find the extension installed by HohoSearch and remove it by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Now go through the list of extension again and remove anything that you don’t know or don’t use.
- What if you cannot click on the Delete/Trash icon – it is grayed out or similar?
You need to click on the box called Developer Mode located in the upper-right corner. This will enable you to see the ID of the extension. Mark the whole string of numbers and copy them.
Now close your Chrome browser and hit Win+R simultaneously. In the button that opens type regedit.
Hit Control+F and paste the ID you copied from the browser. Delete any entries that pop-up from the result.
Now you can start your Chrome browser again and finish the removal of the Extension.
From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer browser
- Click on the gear Tools button located in the upper-right corner , and then select Manage add-ons.
- Under the Show menu select “show all add-ons”, now find and delete the add-on installed by HohoSearch.
- Go through the list of add-ons again and delete anything you are not familiar with/don’t use.
- What if you cannot remove or disable the extension?
This means that there is an active program installed on your computer that prevents you from doing so. You need to do back to Step 1 and carefully look through the list of installed programs. Uninstall anything that looks suspicious to you.
From Mozilla Firefox
- Open your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Click on the three horizontal stripes button located in the upper-right corner . Select Add-ons.
- Now go through the Appearance, Extensions and Plug-ins tabs and remove anything connected to HohoSearch from there. Use the Remove option whenever possible.
- Go through these tabs again and remove any extensions that are unfamiliar to you or that you don’t use at all.
Didn’t work? HohoSearch not listed as an add-on or extension? Try resetting your browser to its default settings to clean away any malware additions.
Step 4 – resetting your internet browser
How to reset Google Chrome
What is about to happen? When you use the reset option for Chrome, your search engines and home pages will be set to the default one. Default startup tabs will be cleared as well, unless you are on Chromebook. Likewise, new tab page will be empty. Pinned tabs will be unpinned and lost. Content settings are cleared out and set to default, cookie and site data removed. Extensions and themes are disabled.
Click on the Chrome menu button, the three horizontal stripes in the top-right corner, then select
- Scroll to the bottom and click on Show advanced settings.
- Look for the section “Reset settings,” click on Reset settings.
- A dialog window will appear, confirm the reset:
- NOTE: You’ll see the following check box“Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings”. If you select it you are agreeing to anonymously send Google your current settings. They’ll use this information to analyze how the Adware hooked in and improve the defense of the browser. It’s up to you whether to help or not.
How to reset Mozilla Firefox to default settings
What is about to happen? When you use the reset button for Mozilla Firefox, your browsing history and bookmarks, as well as windows, open tabs, passwords and cookies and web-form information are preserved. Extensions, themes and other add-ons and plug-ins are removed.
- Start your Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type about:support in the address bar, then hit
- Now click on the Reset Firefox… button located in the upper-right part of the screen.
- Confirm the reset, Firefox will now close and be reset.
How to reset Internet Explorer to default settings
What is about to happen? When you use the reset option for Internet explorer you have the option to control whether your browsing history, search providers, accellerators, tracking protection, home pages and Active filtering data are removed. All this can be done from the Delete Personal Settings checkbox. Check the guide below.
- Start opening your Internet Explorer.
- Click on the gear in the rop-right corner, that is the Tools Select Internet options. In case you don’t actually see the Tools menu, press Alt.
- Now click on the Advanced tab, then find and click Reset.
- Select the Delete personal settings check box. Please note that this will also delete your browsing history, home pages and more. Unfortunately it is needed to clean the Adware.
- Confirm and wait for the process to finish.
Hopefully this will be enough to remove HohoSearch from your machine. If you are still having trouble feel free to contact us, we’ll try to help you to the best of our ability!